Basketball is a sport requiring many skills, including vertical jump. The higher you jump, the more advantages you get in the match. Thus, basketball players will try to increase their vertical jump as much as possible. How to increase your vertical jump for basketball at home?
The best way to increase your vertical jump is by doing exercises. Today, we will introduce 5 best exercises to improve your vertical jump at home:
- Depth jump
- Lateral skater jump
- Jump rope
- Squat jump
- Split squat jump
- Rotational box jump
Now let’s check the details of each exercise:
Table of Contents
1. Depth jump
This is one of the most common exercises to increase your vertical jump. To do this exercise, you will need a box or anything with a flat surface such as a stool. The box must be at least 10 inches high. Following the below direction to do this exercise:
- Step 1: Stand on the box with straight back and feet hip-width apart
- Step 2: Jumping off the box, make sure that your heels don’t touch the ground
- Step 3: Right after landing on the ground, continue to jump up in the air as high as you can. Use your arms to gain momentum for a high jump.
- Step 4: After landing, repeat the process
Do 5 reps per set, 2 to 4 sets in a training session.
2. Lateral skater jump
This exercise will improve the muscles of your lower body, especially your legs and glutes. Following the below direction to do this exercise:
- Step 1: Stand on the floor with feet hip-width apart. Slightly bend your hip and knees
- Step 2: Use your left leg as a pillar, lift your right foot off the ground. Lower your hips by flexing your left leg. Jump with the left foot as far as possible to the right side. Land with the right leg.
- Step 3: Cross your left foot towards your right leg so that it doesn’t touch the ground
- Step 4: Repeat with the other side
Do 10 reps per set, 5 sets in a training session.
3. Jump rope
Jump rope is also an exercise to train the lower body muscles and increase your vertical jump. A jump rope is necessary for this exercise. Following the below direction:
- Step 1: Stand straight on the floor, legs together. Each hand holds a handle of the rope, put the rope behind you
- Step 2: Swing the rope overhead by rotating your forearms and wrists.
- Step 3: When the rope moves to your shins, bend your knees and jump by your toes. Repeat the process to continue. After some first jump, you can only rotate your wrists to swing the rope.
You should start with a slow speed and then increase gradually. It is best to practice jump rope for about 15 to 20 minutes in a training session
4. Squat jump
Practicing squat jumps properly will help you develop the muscles of abs, glutes, hamstrings, and lower back. From there, you can jump higher in basketball. Following the below direction to do this exercise:
- Step 1: Stand straight on the floor with feet hip-width apart and hands crossing your chest.
- Step 2: Lower your hips while pushing your butt back (like doing squat) until your thighs are parallel to the floor
- Step 3: Press your feet down the floor, tense your thighs to gain momentum. Jump as high as possible while swinging your arms to propel your body up.
- Step 4: Right after landing, repeat the squat and jump
Do 10-15 reps per set, 4 sets in a training session
5. Split squat jump
This is another exercise to improve your vertical jump for basketball. You can practice it at home to train the lower body muscles, especially the glute and quad. Following the below direction to do this exercise:
- Step 1: Stand on the floor. Step one foot forward, the other back, hands by your sides.
- Step 2: Lower your body until your thigh is parallel to the floor. Now your position is half kneeling on the ground
- Step 3: Gain momentum, jump and switch the positions of your legs while swinging your arms. Remember to land with your front heel to use that glute to jump back up. Repeat jumping and switching legs to continue.
You can start with doing quick steps instead of jumping to make acquaintance with the exercise.
Do 5-8 reps per set, 3-4 sets in a training session.
Above are 5 must-try exercises to increase your vertical jump for basketball at home. Remember to make a plan for exercises, practice in proper intensity, and always listen to your body. We hope that you can make high jumps in the next basketball match.